Kaimahi – Mauri Ora
- Exciting opportunity to make a difference in our community
- Full time, fixed term role based in East and North Otago
- Hands-on, whānau focused role
Aukaha (1997) Ltd is a kaupapa Māori consultancy based in Otago that works for manawhenua in the areas of environmental, health, social services, and cultural and economic development. We are owned and governed by five Kāi Tahu papatipu rūnaka:
- Te Rūnanga o Waihao
- Te Rūnanga o Moeraki
- Kāti Huirapa Rūnaka ki Puketeraki
- Te Rūnanga o Ōtākou
- Hokonui Rūnanga
We are on the lookout for a people focused, experienced health coordinator to fulfil our Mauri Ora Kaimahi role to ensure that whanau have awhi to access health services. You will be responsible for health promotion, education, and advisory while completing liaison and coordination activities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Improving community access to primary medical and community health facilities through effective education and promotion activities.
- Providing relevant individual health education to individuals.
- Assessing self-referred conditions, advice and referral as necessary to appropriate health providers.
- Supporting and providing assistance to clients who are referred by other health providers.
- Completing Whanau Health Plans with all clients and identifying key areas of improvements in health status as agreed with each whanau.
- Developing and recording linkages with other health care providers, to ensure that clients are properly referred to the appropriate health profession, as required.
- Co-ordinating health related activities, for example, health promotion and health education sessions, mirimiri.
- Supporting as required the services of Aukaha and Tumai Ora Whanau Services.
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrated understanding of the following:
- Māori community dynamics
- Functions of existing health providers particularly in East and North Otago
- He Korowai Oranga (Māori Health Strategy) and Southern Māori Health Plan
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi application within a Māori Kaupapa health provider
- Proven ability to work across generations of whanau, and existing health providers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to plan effectively and work innovatively while displaying a commitment for continuous quality improvement
- The ability to work unsupervised
Background experience in Māori community works and Te reo me ona Tikaka Māori is advantageous, but not required.
Aukaha is guided by Te Tiriti o Waitangi in committing to bicultural responsiveness, equal employment opportunities and workforce development. We offer a competitive salary and scope to develop your skills. With a flexible and autonomous working environment, we also provide staff benefits that ensure a good work-life balance.
We will be screening applications as they come in, so don’t delay in applying for this exciting role!
Applications close: 27 June 2022